Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Semester 4: Part 3 (Male Surgical & Geriatric Ward SGH)

After the mid-semester break, it was our turn to have our practical in Sarawak General Hospital (SGH). I was kinda excited too because i never been to that place before this. When i was a junior, i often saw some of the seniors were waiting for their bus ride to SGH every morning. Now, it was my time. Time flies away so quickly than you could imagine.

An old pic of SGH i found from the net

I still remember my first day in SGH. I never been there before and i didnt know anything about the place. I didnt know where the hell is Male Surgical ward. All i knew that my friends told me it was on the 7th floor. Our bus was kinda late that day so we arrived a bit late. My first shift was the afternoon shift and we arrived at SGH around 1.50pm. We didnt know how to use the elevators on the ground floor but the time was nearly 2pm. Oh damn! we decided to use the stairways and climbed up to the 7th floor. Hahaha, it was hillarious.

First day going to SGH....waiting for our bus

I love male surgical ward.... the staffs were nice and the patients too. We were divided into cubicles and i often worked at the acute cubicle. I like it there. Hahaha. Surgical ward was mainly about the management of pre and post surgical patients. We have to do the daily dressings, daily nursings kinda stuff. Besides, we had to compete with other students as well especially the private colleges one. Being the dominant bitch, i always get the upper hand. Hahaha.... Berebut target every time. And i won most of the time =).

I made lotsa good friends in the ward, especially with the staffs. I didnt know that i was likeable. Hahahaha. Being a student, it is important for you to outshine other students especially in a clinical area. I'm not asking you to "kipas burit" or curry favour but that is a basic law in order to become a good worker. I worked hard and performed well, and i guess the staffs saw everything. If you were likeable, they were willing to give you many opportunities to do alot of procedures...and at the end of the day, you will learn alot more than your other comrades. =)

After 4 weeks in Male Medical, we moved on to our last clinical area for the semester, the Geriatric Ward which was on the 9th floor. The ward was clearly not as busy as surgical ward but it was more fun there. During the first week, i absent for a few days due to my duty as the Student Council's President and i was really busy with the annual dinner thingy. Well, that was the toughest event that i ever organized before. I was nearly on the verge of breaking down but i made it through. Remember, i'm a dominant bitch! Hahahaha.
I still remember my first day doing B.O Management (cleaning up Poo-poo in plain English). I was crying because i had to clean this massive pile of blackish and greenish poo-poo from a stroke patient. Damn, i cant explain you the smell of that thing. Eventhough i used 2 layers of face masks, i still can smell the damn thing. The Sister and one of my team-mate offered to help me but i refused so i did it all by myself (and crying the whole time while doing that) Hahahaha.

With the lovable staffs

Great memories.

I am kinda close with most of the staffs in Geriatric ward because due to lack of works to be done, we had a lot of time to kill by chatting and mingling with each other. That was the best part.
During that time also, I resigned as the Student Council's President due to my term was finally over. It was a hell of a ride. I decided to grabbed 4 juniors under my wings and trained them to be my proteges. You know, you gotta have somebody to continue your legacy right? Well, i got 4! Hahaha.

Days gone by and our clinical days for the fourth semester was over. We had our final exams and once again being a dominant bitch, i got flying colour results. Frankly speaking, i didnt study much. Basically i didnt have time to focus on studying due to my busy schedule during the 4 months period. But i guess God saw how hard i worked and well, miracles happened. If you do good things, eventually you receive good things in return. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment